Saturday, November 1, 2008

Almost 30

It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I was REALLY excited to try baking a new cake. So, I baked my own birthday cake. My friends asked in voices that sounded like pity "aww..you're baking your own cake?!" Yes, my friends, because its fun, and it gives me a tonne of joy. The recipe is from someone who is now my all-time favorite cook, Ina Garten. If there is a cookbook to buy, it's hers. She has a few cook books, and I am so impressed with all of them. I have two of them so far. As you can see, you can get some, if not all, of her recipes on line from the food network site, but I personally love having a glossy cookbook on hand, without having to run to the computer all the time for reference, or without having so many loose printouts everywhere in the kitchen.

So, now, I present to you Beatty's Chocolate Cake.

The picture you see on my blog is of my interpretation of the cake. It turned out beautifully. The one thing that I did not do that was part of the recipe, was put the disolved instant coffee in the icing. I think I should have. I found the icing to be slightly too sugary. I think that the sugar in the icing would have dissolved a bit - resulting in a smoother icing - had I added the coffee. Suffice to say, I will definitely be making this cake again, and will follow the icing recipe to a "T"! I hope you try it out too..you will not regret it!

Enjoy with Coffee, Tea, or a glass of cold Milk.

2 comments:

Kitchen Fairy said...

yum ramona that cake looks amazing. this is jill by the way, i work with your husband. i think we should be friends, based on what he's told me about you. we decided this afternoon that instead of me telling him about what i've baked and him telling me about your adventures, we would cut out the middle man and he gave me the address to your blog. i watched ina make that cake for jeffrey on tv. i completely agree with you about the making your own birthday cake thing, i've done it the last two years in a row and the truth is, i don't trust anyone but myself to make it!!

this is the christmas cookie i'm trying out tonight:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Espresso-Pretzels-14534

but instead of drizzling the bittersweet chocolate on top of the cookies, i'm just going to full on DIP those bad boys.

Monie said...

Oh..those sound great! Hubby says that you know how to make tempered chocolate!! We should definitely get together soon! :)

Monie