Monday, July 21, 2008

Finally, a Cake!

I will own you!
Thats what I was saying while I fought with my fondant on Saturday. I decided not to buy it pre-made, as I heard that it stinks of chemicals when you open it. Anyway, the cake I made for my parents' 30th anniversary (hooray for them!!) got lots of praises (hooray for me)! One of our guests even gave me props for making it without having air conditioning!

Anyway, here's the link for the fondant recipe I used: http://www.recipezaar.com/255227 .

I didn't use shortening, I used butter. And I certainly didn't need half a cup of grease, I only used half a tablespoon! Also, I tried this recipe in half-batches, so I wouldn't stroke of frustration. I heard of fondant recipies not working out, so I wasn't about to make a whole batch for nothing. Finally, I used my dough hook to start out, and then I kneaded. So much less messy. For my last batch, I tried kneading from start to finish..ugh, what a freaking mess! It still worked though. I ended up with 4 balls of fondant in a ziplock in the fridge. I made them over about 3 days.


Here's a link for the cake recipe I used:
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=8918 .

Although what I had in my head was fancier version what I actually made - with fondant bows and numbers! - I am still so happy with these results, it was delish, and that my parents loved it!

3 comments:

LadY LiThiuM said...

This cake really looks good! It's so cute! I'm a bad cook...sorry you're so far, I wish I could taste it! :)

(thanks for the comment at my blog, it was the first one!)

Have a good weekend

B. J. said...

The cake look like delicious~!

Zoe said...

Such a pretty yummy-looking cake!!

This past weekend I decided it was time for me to try decorating a cake with fondant from scratch as well. It was a really tough battle, but in the end I am happy to report that I was victorious!

Fondant is so pretty that when you're all done decorating and looking at the cake you made, you forget about all the work it took to get there and you look forward to making it again. Or maybe that is just me. :)

I am happy to see you recently added a new post, healthy muffins!

Take care.